Speech and Debate Team continues taking top spots at contest

Seniors David Dunton and Zackary Contreras work on their pieces for the upcoming contest. The two have been placing in the top three with their duo all year. (Xavier Goode photo)

Standing in front of the classroom, junior Tre’ Miller-Wright recites the lines she’s been working on for the speech and debate competitions. For her, this is just part of the work she says has gone into preparing and why she thinks the Duncanville competitors did so well in their recent winter contest.

“A lot of work has gone into it” Miller-Wright said. “I’m really proud of my team.”

“This year we’ve been getting awards and medals. I think it’s a reflection on how much work we’ve done this year” Miller-Wright said.

Recently the speech and debate team participated in a high school competition where they improved their results from last year by getting more seconds and thirds than they previously did.
Citing the hard work and dedication she’s seen this year from the team, current speech and debate coach Genevieve Croft agreed as well.

“I’m really pleased with the results” Croft said. “We went to Gainsville High School and took top spots.”

For the team, top spots included senior Zachary Contreras placing second in poetry interpretation and third in dramatic interpretation along with senior David Dunton placing third in humorous interpretation and second in duo interpretation with Contreras.

“I obviously wish I could have placed higher” Contreras said. “But I’m happy with the results, and hopefully I can do better next competition.”

With this competition done and another approaching soon, Contreras isn’t the only one looking forward to future.

“Now that we have hopefully a winning reputation, more people will join” Croft said.

Until then however, the competitors continue to work on their pieces for the upcoming contest and the state competion which they have already qualified for in the future.