Column: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas however you celebrate

Romeeka Siddiqui, staff columnist

Romeeka Siddiqui, staff columnist
Christmas is my favorite time of year because I love everything that surrounds it. The lights, the cheer, the parties, the sales at the mall, the cold weather, the cliché Christmas movies that come on ABC Family and New Years are all things I look forward to. It’s ironic because my family doesn’t even celebrate Christmas. We are Muslims, so waking up on Dec. 25 each year is just like any other day to us. While over thirty percent of the world is busy opening the presents from underneath their Christmas trees, my family is sound asleep.

We may not have some of the same traditions as others, but my family always has fun during the holidays. We love to travel, so every year we go out of town to visit family. I have cousins all over the United States, as well as in Pakistan, so we never run out of places to travel to. The holidays for us are all about spending time with family and relaxing. We don’t have a Christmas tree, but we do decorate the outside of the house with colorful lights. It’s just one of those things that we’ve always done since I was little.

Last year was especially unforgettable because we literally spent Christmas Eve driving back home from Florida. I remember stopping at a gas station with my cousins to take a rest stop and the place was deserted. The place was so quiet that it felt like the whole world was dead. While everyone else was warm and cozy in their homes with their families, me and my cousins were freezing in a cold gas station somewhere in Alabama.

Enjoy this coming winter break like it’s your last. Eat lots of food, spend time with friends and family, and get some rest. When we come back to school, it will be a new year and a new semester. It can be a fresh new start for all of us. Think about your New Year resolutions now and try your best to fulfill them next year. Make 2013 a year that counts!