Three Duncanville band members selected for 2013 All-State Band

After advancing from the area round of competition earlier this month, three members of the band will represent Duncanville as part of the 2013 TMEA All-State Band February 13-16 in San Antonio. The students all admit months of practice each week went into preparing for the competition.

Seniors John Parker(Trombone), Derron Hollingsworth(Baratone) and Jazmine Yuen(Clarinet) were selected as part of the All-State Band which will play in a concert Feb. 13-14 in San Antonio. (Morgan Montgomery photo)
“It was a lot of work practicing three hours a day, but it was worth it” Seniors baratone player Derron Hollingsworth said.

Hollingsworth along with senior John Parker (trombone) made All-State for the first time while junior Jazmin Yuen (clarinet) made it for the second time. These students will be working with internationally-recognized conductors at the annual TMEA Convention in San Antonio which will culminate in a concert on the 16th in the Lila Cockrell Theater.

In order to advance all the way to the state level, students have to go through various stages of competition including advancing through regional and area competitions. At each level, the students must perform previously selected music they were given before a set of judges. The judges rank them based on their performance, and this rank determines whether the student is able to make it through to the next level or not. After his performance which would determine whether or not he would advance to All-State, Parker was skeptical about qualifying as one of the top four players to advance.

“I figured I would be five or six,” Parker said. “So when I found out I advanced, I was surprised. I didn’t think I had done so well, but I am excited and happy with the results.”

While Parker was a little skeptical of his performance, Yuen wasn’t as worried believing she would be able to make All-State once again and enjoy the moment.

“I thought I would get what I got which is second in the room,” Yuen said. “I’m grateful I got the opportunity again.”

Duncanville Band Director Jeff King is also happy for all of his students, including those who weren’t able to make it into All-State considering the size of the area which includes the Dallas metroplex, Austin, and Houston.

“The three who made it were very deserving of this reward. I’m very excited and happy for them,” King said. “This is arguably one of the hardest areas in the state. It takes in three big metropolitan areas.”

Sharing King’s sentiment, Hollingsworth and Parker are also thinking about all those who weren’t able to get to All-State, especially the seniors, and how they now have the honor to represent them.

“Since I am a senior and some of them didn’t make it, I felt like I must do it for us,” Hollingsworth said. “And I did. It was pretty nice.”

As one of the senior trombone players that will graduate this year, Parker feels it is up to him and other seniors to pass the tradition of making it to All-State to future band members.

“I’m leaving a legacy for the future trombone players,” Parker said. “It definitely means a lot to me.”

Those who advanced say they must now turn their attention to preparation for San Antonio in a few weeks. Yuen who was able to attend last year is especially looking forward to going back again.

“I love All-State, it’s a great experience,” Yuen said. “It’s nerve-racking at first, but it’s fun the rest of the time.”

Hollingsworth and Parker are excited as well although this will be the first time for each of them. Through it all however, King hopes they will remember the same Sir Walter Davies quote he told all of the students that weren’t able to make it as far.

“Competition… Not to defeat an opponent or to win a prize, but to pace one another on the road to excellence.”

View Comments (1)