Panther tennis opens spring season with 12-3 win

Last Thursday the Panther tennis team took on Colleyville Heritage in a dual. This was the first match for the team starting up their spring season. The Panthers won with an overall score of 12-3.

The varsity tennis team opened their spring season with a 12-2 win over Colleyville. The team will be on the road for most of the season looking to advance to Regionals again. (Cody Rogers Photo)
Senior Jocelle Rudico won in singles with a score of 6-0, 6-0 and senior Jamie Kim won 6-1, 6-2. Both performances were dominating on behalf of both girls. In girls doubles Senior Selena Facundo and sophomore Daejia Lynch won a close match 6-4, 6-2. Juniors Becky Vega and Carolina Falcon lost a tough match 6-3, 6-1.

In mixed doubles seniors Donald Kelly and Emilee Stinemetz won an extremely close match with a score of 4-6, 6-4, 13-11. They were the last match on the courts and both teams were cheering immensely for their respective sides.

Donald Kelly said, “The cheering really made the difference in the match. It motivated me to do better and try harder.”

In boys singles senior Cody Stewart dropped the first set but won the second set and closed the third set out convincingly. The score was 4-6, 6-4, 6-0. Seniors Chris Pless and Cameron Voss won convincingly 6-0, 6-0. Neither of them dropped a single game during their match.

In boys doubles senior Weston Hill and sophomore Gavin Beach won 6-0, 6-1 in a dominating match. Senior Eric Shimomura and sophomore Austin Gula won 6-0, 6-0 in a convincing fashion.

Beach said, “It feels good to get back out on the courts for some competitive tennis. I was tired of working in the weight room anyways.”

The Panthers take on Longview in Kaufman on Thursday for their next dual. Come out and support the tennis team to victory in their second match of the spring season.