• Senior Panoramic picture will be taken on Feb. 28 in the East faculty parking lot. Picture packages range from $25.00 - $45.00

• Junior Class shirt pre-sell will be during all lunches Thursday. Shirts are $12.00 short sleeve & $16.00 for long sleeve or both shirts for $25.00.

• There will be a FREE SAT Math Prep Session DHS or W.T. White HS @ 9 am Sat. Feb. 24

• CTE will hold a Career Expo & Steam Introduction on Main Street @ 5 p.m. Feb. 22

• Spanish Club will hold their weekly meting in Room K101 at 3:05 Feb. 22

• Cheer Tryouts Mandatory Parent Meeting will be held East Seminar Room Wednesday Feb. 21 @ 6:30 pm

• SAT Math Prep for FREE every Saturday in February see Math Teacher for details

• EOC Saturday Bootcamp is offered every Saturday Feb 3 -May 5

• Life Insurance Certification Training will take place Wednesday Feb. 21 at 3:05 in Room I109

• Today is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day!

• Yearbooks are on sale until February 23 in Room J105 or at smart-pay.com

• Free SAT Math Prep sessions every Saturday in February. See a Math teacher for details.

• Math Magician Club meets every Monday in Room M107

• ACT tutoring in B135 from 3:15-3:45 each Wednesday beginning January 31 and running through May 1. It is free.

Atkins credits God, family and her team for accomplishments on and off the court

Junior Ariel Atkins takes the walk up the ladder after the Region I finals to cut her piece of the net with Tasia Foman who has been playing with her since they were 7 years old. (Abigail Padgett photo)

Sitting on the bus with her music blasting, clearing her mind of all the previous events that occurred that day, Junior Ariel Atkins is preparing herself to leave everything on the court for yet another game. This is just her normal routine that she has gone through before every basketball game. Stepping on the court, the sound of blasting music is now replaced by endless cheers from the crowd. It’s game time. The buzzer goes off and Atkins teammates say they can see the intensity in her eyes as she steals the ball and makes a fast break to the basket on a layup giving the Pantherettes a quick lead in the game. Atkins only goal at this point is give 120% in hopes of helping her team get another win.

“When you see her on the court she has a special drive in her eyes, she’s not the same person on and off the court.” junior teammate Tasia Foman said. “She just has determination in her eyes all the time.”

Foman, who has been sharing the court with Atkins since she was 7, has witnessed this determination and all of Atkins’ achievements first hand. Being one of the leading guards in the nation today, getting nominated for Gatorade’s Player of the Year, and making it in Sports Illustrated Magazine are just a few of these achievements that have occurred in the past few years of Atkins high school career.  However if you were to meet her off the court those around her say she would never mention any of these things.

“She’s very humble,” head Pantherette Coach Cathy Self-Morgan said. “She’s got an instinct for the game and gives a 110% on the court, in the halls and around people. She’s just unbelievable.”

Giving 110% on the court is something that Atkins has learned from her upbringing. She said when she was a young child her mom, Lashonda Atkins, put her on a team because the coach saw her playing around in the gym and asked if Atkins was interested in playing competitively and the basketball drive began.

“I had no fears stepping on the court for my first game as a child,” Atkins said. “When you’re little you don’t really think about winning and losing. I just wanted to get out there and play!”

Atkins said as time went on and she started growing as a player and her skills were improving, her mother always made sure she’d stay humble.  She said her mother made it clear that no matter what Atkins was able to accomplish it never went to her head.

“My mom put God in my heart at a young age and just like Ray Lewis says, ‘just as fast as He gave it, God can take it away!’ So I always give it my all!” Atkins said. “Our purpose on this earth is to help others! My goal is to let God’s light shine through my game. I love this game and God has given me the ability to play it! This is just the way I praise him.”

Atkins said sometimes it is hard to believe all the accomplishments she has are really happening.

“As a child I only dreamed of all of this happening,” Atkins said. “I can not believe it is actually happening.”

Not only does Atkins follow a busy basketball schedule she said school Keeps her plenty busy. She takes all pre-AP and AP classes and said she manages to keep up in the A B honor roll.

“I don’t get to sleep much,” Atkins said. “But I know in the end it will all be worth it.”

Atkins’ teachers said she has the same attitude for her school work as she does for basketball. They say she tries hard and never quits.

“Academically, she’s actually a really good student,” Atkins AP history teacher John Strunc said. “She tries hard. She’s constantly trying. If she gets a good grade she wants to know how to do better next time. She doesn’t quit and you see that on the court too, she’s just like that in the classroom.”

Because of Atkins drive on and off the court she said choosing a college has been kind of stressful for her. She said she is glad she has her family and coach for support with this decision and plans to commit to a school in early March.

“I’ve dedicated everything that I haven’t put in to God, my family and my school work into to this sport.” Atkins said. “So choosing a college will be the next big step for me.”

Atkins said her first priority is for the team to see success. She said she is looking forward to the team winning a second State Championship together this year.

“My team is like a second family to me,” Atkins said. “I want to accomplish everything with them. All that other stuff is just the cherry on the top.”

When she is honored, Atkins just wants everyone to know it is her team that makes here who she is. Self-Morgan said Atkins is just a special player.

“She’s just the best I’ve ever coached in 34 years,” Self-Morgan said.

See Ariel in Action at the Region I tournament below

1 Comment

One Response to “Atkins credits God, family and her team for accomplishments on and off the court”

1. Bozie Jackson on March 2nd, 2013 11:29 pm

The morning watch is essential. You must not face the day until you have faced God, nor look into the lace of others until you have looked into His.
    You cannot expect to be victorious, if the day begins only in your own strength. Face the work of every day with the influence of a few thoughtful quiet moments with your heart and God. Do not meet other people, even those of your own home, until you have first met the great Guest and honored Companion of your life—Jesus Christ.
    Meet Him alone Meet Him regularly. Meet Him with His open Book of counsel before you; and face the regular and the irregular duties of each day with the influence of His personality definitely controlling your every act. Ariel Atkins this article about you and your faith in GOD is beautiful.I knew you had game and now I, know why! Only Believe! Congratulations to the Duncanville Pantherettes.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Atkins credits God, family and her team for accomplishments on and off the court

Features

Man on the Street: Twelve Days of Christmas Trivia

Features

Band Retakes the Field at Bands of America Competition

Features

Students set to receive Associates Degree along with high school diploma

Features

College advisors hold first ‘College Decision Day’ for seniors

Features

Adopted into warmth and love

Features

Panthers march for life at capital

Features

Malone’s family shares story of perseverance and faith four years after tragedy

Features

Gonzales looks back on transition to United States

Features

Sign language classes brings awareness to deaf community

Features

Fashion design students recycle old material for dress contest