Athletes partner with food bank for food drive

DHS partners with food bank

DHS partners with food bank

DHS partners with food bank

One aspect of the high school mission statement is teaching students how they can contribute to society, and the Panthers are now calling on the community to join in their efforts to fight hunger. The varsity football team has accepted an invitation to participate in the second annual “Together We Can Feed More” event, organized by Texas Trust Credit Union.

“One of the major goals that we have within our program is making sure the students understand that there is something bigger than ourselves, and how important it is to contribute to those in need,” head coach Jeff Dicus said.

The goal of the food drive is to raise 115,000 meals by April 6, with non-perishable items like canned vegetables, fruits, and meats, and packaged pasta. Student athletes have placed donation boxes in the DHS library, front office, athletics office, and football field house, and are asking staff and students to help them fill these containers. The public is also invited to bring donations to the DHS front office.

Texas Trust Community Relations manager Debi Choate says the company is elated that DHS students are so eager to help make a difference.

“There are 700,000 people who live with hunger in North Texas, and we are honored to add so many community partners to our second annual food drive,” Choate said. “Most importantly, we are so excited to add our area high school students as contributors to meet this need.”

Duncanville High School is participating in the food drive along with Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Mansfield, and South Grand Prairie high schools. On Saturday, April 6 the public is invited to donate non-perishable items to the Texas Trust Credit Union at 109 W. FM 1382 in Cedar Hill from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. Head football coaches from each of these schools will then compete in the “Speed 2 Feed CANstruction” event.
Each coach, assisted by four football team members, will try to be the first to build a seven-foot tall structure using donated food items. The event will offer family fun including free refreshments, live music, and games, and for every five cans donated on April 6 individuals will receive a chance to win a pair of tickets to an upcoming Beyoncé concert. For more information about the April 6 event, click here.