The Road to State

Senior Christopher Escalera scores the game winning goal against Colleyville Heritage (Cody Rogers photo).

This past Friday the Duncanville Soccer Boys defeated Colleyville Heritage at the home of Arlington Lamar’s stadium. The boys won a close game of 2-1 in overtime.

The match against Colleyville Heritage was a tough fought battle for the boys in their second round of playoffs for the road to state. The boys went into overtime to get the win against them. In the first half, the goal was scored early by upcoming JV player Jared a sophomore. The score was now 1-0 in Duncanville’s favor. After the first goal, Colleyville became very aggressive and competitive for that goal to tie the game. They could not get it in the first half however. Going into halftime the boys had the advantage going into the second half.

The start of the second half took a turn for the worse for the boys. In the beginning of the second half, Duncanville caused a foul right in front of the goal at the 18 yard box. Colleyville kicked it, and they scored. The score was now 1-1 and the boys were rushing to get that second goal. Unfortunately, they could not get the goal they needed to win the game. They had to go into overtime. They played two 10 minutes halves.

Going into overtime, the boys were starting to cramp up and were very tired. But there was still so much work to be done. There were no goals scored in the first 10 minute half. The boys needed to get a goal in the second half to win the game. Halfway through the second half, a great assist kicked for senior Christopher Escalera had the game winning goal. Escalera took one touch that chipped the goalie and curved into the goal. It was the goal that was very much expected out of Escalera from the team and the fans there cheering them on. The fans went wild! It was now 2-1 and the second half of overtime was over. The boys won their second round of playoffs and continue on for the road to state.

The boys play tonight against former state champions Coppell at Birdsville stadium at 8:00 P.M. They hope to see their loyal fans out there again tonight to cheer them on!