Students collaborate on Zombie Apocalypse short film

Zombie+transformation+
Zombie transformation
The cosmetology student  transformimg one of the actors into a zombie for the film.
The cosmetology student transformimg one of the actors into a zombie for the film.

The hallways seem abandoned, yet a scream is heard in the distance. A boy and a girl appear from the shadows, running  for their lives. Their faces say it all: something gruesome is chasing them. Something like a zombie. In celebration of Halloween in October, senior audio visual production students Jerome Armstead and Edward Ramirez collaborated to bring zombie fantasies to film.

“We (Jerome and I) were just talking about a zombie apocalypse,” Ramirez said. “We thought we would be the ones to survive, so we continued to  discuss the idea then decided to make it come to live.”

Armstead and Ramirez have produced previous works individually.  For this project, Armstead oversaw the screenwriting, while Ramirez directed the cinematography. They recruited the aide of cosmetology, their AVP crew, and the theatre arts students.

“ We decide to use our schools cosmetology crew, theater arts cast, and A.V. production equipment to support us and by doing this likewise we would be able to create more reputation for Duncanville HS,” Armstead said.

The preparations began in the cosmetology salon, where the actors became the zombie creatures seen in the film.

“This was such a great experience,” a sophomore cosmetology student said. “It’s so exciting to see my masterpiece be featured in a film.”

The actors were just as excited to participate.

“The feeling of one being seen in a film is just  exciting,” an actor said.

Mrs. Robare believes that independent projects such as these are beneficial to all students involved.

“I believe it will help them see the experiences they’ll encounter if they decide to follow this career path,” Mrs.Robare  said. “They will  learn more from hands on hands work. There is also the gratitude of being asked to help in a film.”

The film is still in production but the collaborators hope to release it this month.