Zeal helps students connect with God, each other

Made By Malia Clayton- Historian
Made By Malia Clayton- Historian
Made By Malia Clayton- Historian
Made By Malia Clayton- Historian

The group joins hands and bow their heads for prayer.  Words of strength and hope echo through the cafeteria. Soon after, the group is singing along to empowering worship music. The atmosphere is full of welcoming voices encouraging those in attendance to open their heart to God.

Zeal, a student lead worship group, meets every other Wednesday in the freshman cafeteria  after school until 4:30 to connect the word of the Lord to everyday life.  Their goal is to bring in the student body to learn about the Bible, the importance of understanding the values it holds, and putting those values into practice.

“All grade levels are encouraged to come and join us as we have a great time getting to know God,” freshman Zeal leader Sharif Long says, “We try to make each meeting as interesting and as fun filled as possible by playing games, activities, music, and much more.”

The group Zeal started at Kennemer Middle School in the winter of 2013. The original leaders were students Sharif Long, Maggie Medina, Leslie Bonilla, and Natalya Ramirez who are now freshmen. They experienced success at the lower level and decided to bring it with them when they moved on to the high school. The group has teamed up with Young Life in efforts to reach as many students as possible.

“I enjoy the fellowship with other people embarking on  a journey that I am on also,” Young Life member Anaya Shed says.

Young Life provides food and transportation to the students who need it. Crossroads of Life Assembly also offers rides to and from the school so that students have the opportunity of attending their youth group.

Throughout every meeting the message is clear, “Know God. Know Yourself. Be Known.”

For updates and news about the group visit their website: www.duncanhszeal.weebly.com.