McQuaid to appear in national three point contest during NCAA Final Four tournament on April 5

Senior Guard Matthew McQuaid will be putting his baseline shooting up against the top high school shooters in the country when he participates in the NCAA 3 point shootout. (John Hunt photo)
    Matthew McQuaid charges toward the net against the body of a defender. (Photo by Shay Rhodes)

Panthers senior guard Matthew McQuaid has been selected to be in the American Family Insurance High School Three-Point-Shootout for the NCAA Final Four basketball tournament. The event will air on CBS Sunday, April 5 at 2:30 CT.

“This is a great opportunity for me,” McQauid said. “I’m very excited and looking forward to it.”

McQuaid is one of seven boys around the country chosen for the honor.

“This is a talented group of student-athletes,” Telisa Yancy, vice president of marketing at AFI, said. “It is their hard work, dedication and persistence that have gotten them to this point in their careers. We are excited to provide them with this opportunity to celebrate those characteristics.”

McQauid’s mother Karen McQuaid said she is very excited about her son being selected for the shootout.

“He has set goals for his life and worked really hard to accomplish them,” Karen McQuaid said. “I am super proud of the opportunity he has been given.”

McQuaid’s father Robert McQuaid said he is also proud of his son’s opportunity.

“What a great honor for him to be selected as one of the best shooters in the country,” Rob McQuaid said. “All the hard work and many hours of practice have paid off. I’m very proud because I know how much work he has put in over the years.”

Though Matt has been dealing with a hand fracture since his last district game, he has been pushing himself to be prepared for this game.

“We had to wait to be cleared by the doctor,” Rob McQuaid said. “He missed several weeks of shooting practice, so he is going hard to make up for lost time.”

To get back his sharp shooting self, Matt is putting in hours at the gym working on different skills.

“I’ve been practicing with racks and shooting NBA threes to make the shots seem closer,” Matt said. “I’ve also been working on getting my shot off quicker.”

Matt said he does not know much about the other contestants, but he is still prepared mentally.

“It looks like a good field, but I’m not worried about the other contestants,” Matt said. “I’m just going to go have fun.”