• Senior Panoramic picture will be taken on Feb. 28 in the East faculty parking lot. Picture packages range from $25.00 - $45.00

• Junior Class shirt pre-sell will be during all lunches Thursday. Shirts are $12.00 short sleeve & $16.00 for long sleeve or both shirts for $25.00.

• There will be a FREE SAT Math Prep Session DHS or W.T. White HS @ 9 am Sat. Feb. 24

• CTE will hold a Career Expo & Steam Introduction on Main Street @ 5 p.m. Feb. 22

• Spanish Club will hold their weekly meting in Room K101 at 3:05 Feb. 22

• Cheer Tryouts Mandatory Parent Meeting will be held East Seminar Room Wednesday Feb. 21 @ 6:30 pm

• SAT Math Prep for FREE every Saturday in February see Math Teacher for details

• EOC Saturday Bootcamp is offered every Saturday Feb 3 -May 5

• Life Insurance Certification Training will take place Wednesday Feb. 21 at 3:05 in Room I109

• Today is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day!

• Yearbooks are on sale until February 23 in Room J105 or at smart-pay.com

• Free SAT Math Prep sessions every Saturday in February. See a Math teacher for details.

• Math Magician Club meets every Monday in Room M107

• ACT tutoring in B135 from 3:15-3:45 each Wednesday beginning January 31 and running through May 1. It is free.

Sports column: Panther football falls short of expectations, still has chance for redemption

Senior Quarterback Mike Meyers pushes past a Midlothian defender during a hinge game in district play. (Alexis Rosebrock photo)

Noah Vice, Staff Writer

The varsity football team lost a heartbreaker to the South Grand Prairie Warriors last Friday.  The final score of 26-28 was a testament to a game that came down to the final minute. This adds another loss to their record leaving them 0-2 in district and 2-4 for the season.  Some of these losses included games with Arlington, Waco Midway, Mansfield, and Mesquite Horn (who later forfeited due to an ineligible player).

This season promised potential with former Skyline Head Coach, Reginald Samples, taking charge of the team and several talented players being added to the roster. This talent-filled roster hasn’t managed to produce results. Games come down to the wire or end at the first half. This physical and emotional beat up squad needs answers if they want a shot at playoffs. And fast.

This team has failed to show that they can play a complete game. The offense led by senior quarterback, Michael Myers, will come out explosive and get needed points on the board. When the second half rolls around, this lead will somehow disappear in the last minutes of the game, like against SGP and Mesquite Horn. The Panthers have not shown they are capable to make the of last minute magic comeback happen.

Failed execution and careless turnovers will cost them to fall under a tremendous lead with no hope in sight. When the same second half rolls around, they’ll somehow make something out of nothing and make some kind of a comeback. At this point it’s too late. This was routine in the Arlington and Waco Midway games.

As mentioned before talent isn’t the issue for this team; their weakness is their lack of cohesiveness. Duncanville has shown fight on both sides of the ball but can never manage to bring it all together. Once they do this they’ll be able to show that they truly are contenders in one of the toughest districts in Texas. The six ranked team in the state, Cedar Hill, host the Panthers tonight for their homecoming game.

There’s no better time for Duncanville to come together and show what they have left. If they play as the team we expected them to be from the beginning, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be playing late into the winter to come.