AcDec wins Regional contest brings home 67 medals

The Academic Decathalon team brought home the Regional team tropy this weekend as they won 67 medals. This is the second highest amount of medals ever won by the Duncanville team. (submitted photo)

The  Academic Decathlon Team returned from Regional competition this weekend finishing FIRST  overall among a field of 13 other 5A teams.  By winning their region, Duncanville will now advance to STATE COMPETITION  at the end of February.  The 40 top teams in the state will compete for the one place to attend the NATIONALS competition in April.

The following team members brought home individual medals in the contest:

Nathan Heineman led the team with a total of 12 medals, individually winning gold in speech, economics, social studies; silver in interview, lang/lit and super quiz, and bronze in music. Nathan was the top scoring Honors on the team and in the entire competition.

Jozabad Sanchez won 10 total medals: individually winning gold in economics and social studies; silver in lang/lit, and bronze in math and art. Jozabad  was the top scoring Scholastic on the team and in the entire competition.

Takel (tuh-kell) Avery won 10 total medals: individually winning gold in economics; silver in interview, music, social studies, and bronze in speech. Takel was the top scoring Varsity on the team and in the entire competition.

Maria Ipina (Eeee-peeen-yuh)  won 8 total medals: individually winning gold in art and superquiz; silver in lang/lit, and bronze in economics. Maria was the third highest scoring Scholastic in the entire competition.

Briantria (bree-ahn-tree-uh) Evans won 7 total medals: individually winning gold in speech and interview; silver in music and social studies. Bri (breee) was the fourth highest scoring Scholastic in the entire competition.

Burhanuddin (burr-hah-new-dean) Ezzi won 6 total medals: individually winning gold in economics; silver in art and bronze in lang/lit. . Burhanuddin (burr-hah-new-dean) was the fourth highest scoring Honors in the entire competition.

Lynda Lee won 5 total medals: individually winning silver in economics and bronze in art.

Anavaleria Monzon won 5 total medals: individually winning gold in art and silver in economics. Anavaleria was the fifth highest scoring Varsity in the entire competition.

Ashlie Reid won 4 total medals: individually winning gold in interview.

Altogether, Duncanville brought home 67 total medals, the second highest count in the history of AcDec at Duncanville. Go panthers!!