Players sign letters of intent to play football on university level

Marcel Southall, one of the nations most sought after Defensive Tackles decides on the University of Texas for his future as a football player. He and his family take a selfie after his decision is revealed. (Cynthia Rangel photo)

Decision day arrived early at Duncanville High School as nine student athletes sat at the table awaiting the signing of their college letter of intent to play for a university football team in the fall. For one of the nation’s most sought after recruits, defensive tackle Marcel Southall the decision was revealed at the actual table with the other eight teammates who signed with him.

“One of my greatest accomplishments was to continue to be on the field with my team and trying to set myself up for success for the rest of my life,” Southall said. ” Duncanville High staff and administration has pushed me to a whole other level that I didn’t know if I could even handle myself.” 

Southall’s decision came with the big surprise when he flipped his sign revealing the University of Texas as his choice. Southall had full offers on the table from schools such as Oklahoma, Miami, Ole Miss, Alabama,Baylor, California among the 29 schools looking to put him to work on their team right away. 

“Miami is my favorite team,” Marcel’s dad Marcus Wilson said. “But I think after looking at the defensive schemes and academics, Texas is the best choice for our son.”

This year's signing class included John Allen – Grambling St, Jaquel Pierce – Texas St., Markey Archer – Trinity Valley, Bailey Phillips – Southeastern Oklahoma St. Univ, Chris Walker – Southern Oklahoma St. Univ, Michael Myers – UT – Permian Basin, Cameron Devose – Northern Colorado, Jareon Bryant – Fresno St., Marcel Southall – Univ. of Texas. (Cynthia Rangel photo)
This year’s signing class included John Allen – Grambling St, Jaquel Pierce – Texas St., Markey Archer – Trinity Valley, Bailey Phillips – Southeastern Oklahoma St. Univ, Chris Walker – Southern Oklahoma St. Univ, Michael Myers – UT – Permian Basin, Cameron Devose – Northern Colorado, Jareon Bryant – Fresno St., Marcel Southall – Univ. of Texas. (Cynthia Rangel photo)

Panther Head Coach Reginald Samples had a fare share of universities visiting the campus throughout the year looking to recruit from his team. This year his signing class included John Allen to Grambling State University, Jaquel Pierce to Texas State, Markey Archer to Trinity Valley, Bailey Phillips to Southeastern Oklahoma, Michael Myers to UT Permian Basin, Cameron Devose to Northern Colorado and Jareon Bryant to Fresno State all receiving full ride scholarships to play football and pursue their degrees.

“Today we have won,” Samples said. “This has been a long process and journey for the signees and today is the beginning of a new chapter in their lives.”

Coach Eric Mims works with universities throughout the year in an effort to assist student athletes with the process. He says this is about four years of hard work coming together both in the classroom and on the field.

“You may qualify with your athletic talent but if you do not take care of your academics you can not be here at this table,” Mims said. “These athletes have proven themselves both in the classroom and on the field and it is an honor for me to announce their decisions today.”

Marcel’s mother Trudy Wilson said his choice to attend the University of Texas was a family decision that took some time.

“We’re just excited that he decided to stay close to home,” Mrs. Wilson said. “Texas was one of the best schools that he could have chosen to sign with.”

Out of all the schools that wanted to pick Southall up, he and his family chose the school that was more family oriented and best for him play his defensive tackle position.

“This was a long process, because there were 20 really great schools that were offering him scholarships,” Mrs. Wilson said.  “But he chose the best fit for him.”

Although the coaching staff plays an important role in working with recruiters through the process, Samples says the final decision is on the players and families.

“I just offer the young men advice, they have to live through it,” Samples said.  “I try not to sway them in any direction. The worst thing they can do is make a decision on something you say and they blame you for the rest of their lives.”

Senior John Allen was injured early this season and he says he is just blessed to have the opportunity to be part of signing day and attend Grambling State in the fall. (Kyhia Jackson photo)

For senior John Allen III, who was out the majority of the season with a serious leg injury and surgery he says it is a blessing to be part of signing day.

“I never expected to be sitting at this table today,” Allen said. “I thought I would never get the opportunity to step back on a football field after I was injured and this is a blessing to be here today.”

Allen went on to mention the rich history of the university he will be attending.

“Signing to Grambling means that I’m signing to a family tradition, because going to Grambling means so much more to me,” Allen said.  “Especially since I was out of this past season.” 

Allen’s family says after visiting Grambling State they felt at home.

“We have had the opportunity to visit the history about Eddie Robinson during our time there so this has not just been a recruiting process this has also been a great cultural experience as well,” Mrs. Allen said.

Allen and his family are looking forward to this new chapter in his life as he has the opportunity to attend a Division 1 school in the fall. 

“This is a true blessing from God,” John’s dad John Allen Jr.  said.  “Our family has been so excited from the recruiting trip to visiting the campus and then to today.” 

Samples came to Duncanville this year after leaving Skyline and he says he is happy with his first year.

“With this being my first year at Duncanville I can honestly say that these young men have made me proud,” Samples said.  “I can’t wait to see how they put their good talents to work and continue to make Duncanville proud over the next four years.”