Players honored at mock National Signing Day

The press promotes national siging day making celebrities out of high school athletes. They however spotlight only those they feel to be the top college prospects and miss those such as the six from here that signed last week. (Lasheena Frost photo)
    Six seniors participated in a mock nation signing day this week after the original ceremony was canceled due to inclement weather. (Lasheena Frost photo) MORE PHOTOS

There are six football players that will never be dressing out in a Duncanville uniform again, instead they will put on a college uniform. After the original signing day of Feb. 2 was canceled because of inclement weather, the six seniors signed their letters at home instead of at school in front of their peers, coaches, families and friends.

“ My wife and I had a nice cake ready for them on Feb. 2,” Head Coach Jeff Dicus said. But our neighbors had to enjoy it instead of the players because the Texas weather kept us from having the ceremony.”

The cancellation however did not hinder a Feb. 8 mock signing for the players at the football field house. Making the decision about where to attend college can be tough but for these six players they feel that the support they get from others helped make the decision easier.

“ My parents really stood behind me and supported me throughout this whole process,” senior Josh Uland said after choosing Austin College to play college football at.

Prior to the mock signing it was announced that senior defensive player Josh Hunt was named to the third team All-State Team, and senior receiver Jalon Parker was named an All-State honorable mention receiver.

“This is a huge accomplishment to be named to an all state team,” Hunt said.

Last week Hunt signed his letter of intent to attend Division 1 Wake Forest University. Parker will be attending Langston University. Josh Uland is headed to Austin College, Terrell Brooks to North Texas, Blake King to Southwest Baptist and Darnell Jones to Southeastern Oklahoma.

“I like Austin College because some of my family members went there and the chance for me to go there is awesome,” Uland said.

Parents were also on hand to show their support for the players at the mock letter signing.

“ We couldn’t be more happy for Blake to be headed to Southwest Baptist to play ball,” King’s father said.

SEE PHOTO GALLERY OF EVENT