• Senior Panoramic picture will be taken on Feb. 28 in the East faculty parking lot. Picture packages range from $25.00 - $45.00

• Junior Class shirt pre-sell will be during all lunches Thursday. Shirts are $12.00 short sleeve & $16.00 for long sleeve or both shirts for $25.00.

• There will be a FREE SAT Math Prep Session DHS or W.T. White HS @ 9 am Sat. Feb. 24

• CTE will hold a Career Expo & Steam Introduction on Main Street @ 5 p.m. Feb. 22

• Spanish Club will hold their weekly meting in Room K101 at 3:05 Feb. 22

• Cheer Tryouts Mandatory Parent Meeting will be held East Seminar Room Wednesday Feb. 21 @ 6:30 pm

• SAT Math Prep for FREE every Saturday in February see Math Teacher for details

• EOC Saturday Bootcamp is offered every Saturday Feb 3 -May 5

• Life Insurance Certification Training will take place Wednesday Feb. 21 at 3:05 in Room I109

• Today is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day!

• Yearbooks are on sale until February 23 in Room J105 or at smart-pay.com

• Free SAT Math Prep sessions every Saturday in February. See a Math teacher for details.

• Math Magician Club meets every Monday in Room M107

• ACT tutoring in B135 from 3:15-3:45 each Wednesday beginning January 31 and running through May 1. It is free.

Filed under Sports, Sports Columns

Freshman girl golfer first to advance to Regional Tournament in over 16 years

The consistent clack of golf balls connecting with metal resonated throughout the driving range. There was a light breeze that rustled the loose leaves; as well as, the ruffles at the end of her skirt. Regardless of the distractions, she stayed focus. This was her fourth practice this week, and she was determined. Each back swing and pointed toe, demonstrated nothing but perfection; however, in her perspective, there was always room for improvement.

“I know a lot of the girls that are competing at the regional tournament,” freshman, Kate Adleman said. “They are really competitive, but I feel like I have what it takes to play against them.”

Adleman first started showing interest in golf when she was six years old. While her brother and father departed to play the course, she was left at home with her mother, where they participated in “girly” stuff together.

“I’m not very girly,” Adleman said. “So one day I threw a hissy fit, begging to join my dad and brother, and she finally said ‘fine! you can go’.”

Her first swing was with her father’s clubs, and it wasn’t the best. However, it was enough to for her and her father to realize that this was truly what she wanted to do. So from there on, she continued to practice with her father until she became the golfer she is today.

“I have never been apart a girls’ golf team or individualist, where they have qualified for the regional tournament,” golf coach, Robert McQauid said. “The last time a girl made it to regionals was back in 2001, when I was still coaching at Mansfield High School.”

McQuaid holds a lot of pride within Adleman’s performance at her age and grade level. Despite not being able to qualify for the state tournament, he believes that this was a great learning experience for the freshman golfer to learn from.

“For a Freshman to qualify for Regionals is a big honor,” McQuaid said. “Being as young as she is, I hope that she learns from this, and encourages her to return for the next three years of her high school