Filed under News, Top Stories

Early Homecoming kicks off the year, royalty named early

Kayle+Bowens+and+her+sister+react+to+her+being+named+2017+Homecoming+Queen.+Brenda+Arana+photo.+
Kayle Bowens and her sister react to her being named 2017 Homecoming Queen. Brenda Arana photo.

This year’s Homecoming, one of the earliest Homecoming weeks DHS students have seen, was a huge success.

Beginning with the theme days, students participated by dressing out in outfits from patriotic to western to cultural. All the theme days sent a message anticipating the defeat of our Homecoming game opponents, the Skyline Raiders. Leading into the game last Friday, students wore mums showing off school spirit. Our first pep rally of the year was a hit with dances from the High Hats, cheerleaders, and step team, with even teachers joining in. The buildup of excitement could be sensed around the school up until the Friday Night Lights homecoming game, with such a huge turnout that every seat was taken. During halftime, the High Hats formed the traditional heart around Homecoming court nominees and the winners were announced:

Mercy Ogunlade- Band Sweetheart

Stephanie Becerra- Choir Sweetheart

Dequelen Blackburn- Football Sweetheart

Isaac Euceda and Jaleigh Cole- Freshman Prince and Princess

Devontay Keeton and Endya Hill- Sophomore Prince and Princess

Martin Varela and Savyna Viranphonh- Junior Prince and Princess

And the King and Queen of the 2018 Senior class: Angel Alonso and Kaylee Bowens.

Homecoming King, Angel Alonso shared how it felt for him to win this year.

“I’m really grateful,” Alonso said,  “I ran for homecoming king freshman year but I got tied so it feels really good to finally win.

Each nominee for the court got to choose an escort to accompany them on the field. Most chose someone special to them, a friend or family member. Both King and Queen chose their siblings.

“I honestly didn’t think I was going to win but it’s a great way to start senior year,” Homecoming queen Kaylee Bowens said, “I had my sister walk me down. She’s my partner in crime, my right hand man. I love her.”

Likewise, Alonso chose his older sister.

“My sister April walked me down,” Alonso said. “She basically raised me in high school. She got me in student council, she was senior class vice president and I’m senior class vice president.”

Many alumni could be spotted in the crowd to watch the game, see winners be crowned, and watch the performance of the band following the game. This year’s Homecoming was especially unique to the alumni of the class of 2007 as it was their 10 year anniversary and they could be seen in the home side student section wearing matching blue reunion shirts.

Alonso shared a message to his own class saying, “I just want to say thanks for letting me represent y’all as senior class Vice President and Homecoming king.”

Friday night ended on a high note as Duncanville continued it’s winning football streak beating the Raiders with a score of 45-7 and the band performed their entire first movement of their marching show following the memorable game.

The fun wasn’t over until the Hollywood themed dance on Saturday night. The Lights, Camera, HOCO dance was decorated with the names of all the winners on their very own Walk of Fame star.

With great turn outs for all the events planned throughout the week, Homecoming was a great way to kick off the school year and the Class of 2018’s last year of high school.

The Homecoming Queen had a powerful challenge to share with her fellow seniors and classmates as we all start off the year:

“Be the change that you want to see,” Bowens said.