Surviving High School

High school could be exciting or just about the worst four years of your teenage life. My high school experience was overall pretty terrible. Not just with the school, but with my personal life as well. I went through some things, but coming to school every day with kids who judge you down to the socks on your feet, didn’t help so much either. Being realistic though, you can survive high school. It’s not that hard.

1. Bring headphones & a charger. You’re going to need them more than you think.
  2. Always have a hoodie. Even if it’s May, classrooms get cold, and if a room is warm, you have a pillow. Everybody wins.
  3. Bring a water bottle. You never realize how grateful you are to have it, until you’ve tasted the water from the fountain.
  4. Don’t make eye contact with any students who aren’t people you associate with. Just walk from class to class with your head high looking straight ahead. Don’t look at them and they won’t look at you. I know it sounds bad, but just do it.
  5. Don’t procrastinate, literally just don’t. Trust me when I say it does nothing but cause more stress on you. Get everything turned in as early as possible, it’s going to save you.
  6. Don’t argue with the teachers for anything that can’t be solved in the classroom. It’ll save you and them so much time.
  7. Teamwork makes the dream work, so fake it ‘til you make it.
  8. Do whatever you have to do to get through the eight hours of constant anxiety until you get to your happy place.
  9. Make friends, but keep your circle small. From personal experience, I started off high school with quite a few friends, but now I’m a senior and I can count how many friends I have on one hand. You lose friends in high school, it just happens, people drift apart and get into different things. You’ll meet more people.
  10. Don’t care about what anybody thinks of you. At the end of the day, you just have you, so don’t worry about people that you’ll most likely never see again after high school is over.

So keep your head held high, because high school is just a small chapter in your life, and there are other things to experience.