• College Fair in High School Main Street area April April 24 @5:30 pm

• District Art Show in High School Cafeteria April 26 from 6:30-8 pm

• Softball vs. Copperas Cove April 28 @ noon Hillsboro HS

• Softball vs. Copperas Cove @ 7 pm April 27 @ Hillsboro HS

• Spanish Club Meets Thursdays in Room K101 @ 3:05

• Saturday School is held every Saturday in the East Cafeteria @ 8a.m.

• Step Team Practice held every Wednesday in West Cafeteria @ 3:15

• Young Life meets every Monday in East Cafeteria @ 3:05

• EOC Saturday Bootcamp is offered every Saturday Feb 3 -May 5

• Free SAT Math Prep sessions every Saturday in February. See a Math teacher for details.

• Math Magician Club meets every Monday in Room M107

• ACT tutoring in B135 from 3:15-3:45 each Wednesday beginning January 31 and running through May 1. It is free.

Should veganism be prompted at school?

Vegan options on school menus.

Vegan options on school menus.

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude all forms of exploitation of animals for food. Over 5% of the population is vegan and growing. Even with that large percentage of the world becoming vegan, our school district and surrounding districts has one to none vegan options available to our students. Should schools offer a plant-based menu?

Only 35 schools across America have adopted vegan options in their cafeterias, a movement that was inspired by students who wanted to see more inclusive, healthier meal choices.

By providing vegan options, it will give the fellow vegetarians and vegans more to eat, and will help students interested in vegetarianism transition to a plant-based diet easier. Students should have access to a nutritious, planet-based meal at school where half of their day is consumed.

A vegan diet is healthier, it conserves resources and protects the planet. Vegetarian and vegan options will make the school more animal, environment, and health friendly.

Asking for burritos, tacos and enchiladas with beans, veggie meats, or tofu. Better yet for one vegan option per day. Having vegetarian protein sources, like beans or tofu, to the salad bar would increase the percentage of students eating in the cafeteria.

Vegan clubs has made the impact of spreading awareness in public schools. Vegan clubs can discuss their desire for more vegetarian and vegan options with the school food director. Get involved with PTA that have potential to encourage the school to expand their offerings.

The complaint of vegetarian and vegan food is too expensive or hard to find. There are plenty of manufacturers and distributors that sell vegetarian and vegan foods at comparable prices to meat and animal products. Removing the least brought food item on the lunch line can be replaced with a vegan option. Vegan food should be given an opportunity to be offered to the students and if it meets quota, it should stay.

Vegan options is something to have around in a public school. By providing vegan options schools would be reaching a growing community of students that prefer this for their diet. This would also ad another healthy option for students in the public school cafeterias.