Half-time show to pay special tribute to 9-11 victims

News Release from Duncanville ISD

During tonight's half-time show, the Band, HIgh Hats and Choir will join with other community members to pay a tribute to those lost in the 9-11 tragedy. (Ini Adedokun photo)

The Fire Department of New York suffered 343 fatalities on September 11, 2001, the largest loss of life of any emergency response agency in United States history. The Port Authority Police Department suffered 37 fatalities in the attacks, the largest loss of life of any police force in United States history in a single day; and the New York Police Department suffered 23 fatalities. It was a day that forever changed our lives as well as the American way of life.

On Friday, September 9, 2011, ten years after the horrific events of September 11, Duncanville ISD and its community will pause, reflect, and unite at the DHS Panther football game for a moment of remembrance, with a halftime ceremony honoring our local fire and police personnel. The ceremony will feature a patriotic musical number composed by DHS Assistant Band Director Will Pitts and a moving performance of God Bless America by the DHS Choral Department.

“We want to honor the men and women in uniform who serve as fire and police personnel in our community, who willingly dedicate their lives to serve and protect our citizens,” said Duncanville ISD Board of Trustee President Tom Kennedy. “We hope patrons can join us for our first home game and the opportunity to participate in our hometown remembrance service.”

The 9/11 commemorative ceremony will be held during halftime, and the DHS Marching Band halftime performance will be postponed to the end of the football game. The Duncanville ISD community is also invited to join the communities of Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, Ferris, Glenn Heights, Lancaster, Midlothian, Ovilla, Red Oak, and Waxahachie on Sunday, September 11, 2011 at Uptown Village at 1:00 pm for a 9/11 Memorial Ceremony. Click here to view that event flyer.
First Day Photo Contest Winner