Panthers face crucial game against Mansfield Legacy

The varsity Panthers blew a 14 point lead after halftime of the Timberview game to come up short of a win. The Panthers will have to adjust and get back into the win column in Mansfield Friday Night. (Chase Apperson Photo)

The district season is now into its last two games. It’s all very close in the middle of the 5-5A district standings, and some teams need to win both of the last two games just to secure a playoff berth.

The Panthers will play the first of their last two games against Mansfield Legacy who is sixth in the standings. Legacy lost their last two games and the Panthers shouldn’t have too much trouble getting a win. But the season has proved otherwise a few times.

A few of the Panthers’ close games have been against teams they should have, at least on paper, easily beaten. But their resilience has been key to making those close games, wins.

“I think our kids will respond well,” Coach Jeff Dicus said. “I’m looking for us to head over to Mansfield again and hopefully get our first win in that stadium.”

It is a must win game for Duncanville. They need to set up some momentum for their last game against Cedar Hill, who could possibly go into the game undefeated, if they beat South Grand Prairie this week. Not only that, a loss could heavily reduce the chances of the Panthers making the playoffs.

The Panthers are currently fourth in the standings with a 3-2 district record. They are just below Timberview, who also sits at 3-2. Timberview defeated the Panthers last week in close and emotional game that put the Panthers in a tough position.

“We still need a lot of improvement,” junior running back Jaquan Cole said. “We’re not playing like we are suppose to be playing, how everyone expected us to be playing.”

No doubt the Panthers will need to be in top form to finish the season well, and they have the talent to do so. They certainly know how to score and defend the ball. But they have lacked a bit of consistency that they will hopefully develop in these last two games and carry into the playoffs.

“We need to start fast and finish fast,” Dicus said. “We just haven’t pushed the right buttons yet, but I think you’ll see a complete game from our kids this Friday.”