Panthers Win Emotional Game in OT

Coach Jeff Dicus celebrates a big win in overtime against Cedar Hill. This was the first time the team beat Cedar HIll in six years.(Abigail Padgett photo)

After six years the Panthers finally achieved the next best thing to a state title, defeating Cedar Hill.

The game between Duncanville and Cedar Hill this past friday definitely lived up to its hype, it maybe even went beyond that. It literally consisted of both teams scoring back to back touchdowns until the very last second.

The Longhorns took the first lead early in the game and a possible blowout seemed possible, but the Panthers maintained their composure and responded with seven points. This would set the mood for the rest of the battle.

While both team scored a lot of points on each other, it was defense that won the game. The Panthers had a crucial stop at the one yard line that sent the game into overtime. The defense stepped up again when it stopped a 2-point conversion attempt by Cedar Hill, which won the game.

“Somebody had to step up and make a play,” Coach Dicus said. “I’m so proud of our kids, and by God we made a play when we needed it.”

Players, coaches, staff, band members, and even fans, stormed the field immediaetly after the game ended. Everyone wanted to celebrate the win with the players on the field. It was a sight that is many times only seen after a championship win, it sure felt like that for the Panthers.

With the win the Panthers finish the season 4th in the district standings with a 5-2 record. They’ll now prepare to face an even bigger challenge, a 10-0 Euless Trinity team.

“We’re going to enjoy this win against Cedar Hill for about 24 hours,” Dicus said, “and then we’re going to get ready for Euless trinity.