Richard Gary signs letter of intent to run for Baylor

Richard Gary signed with Baylor to run track while his parents and coach Derek Dorris look on. (Julio Munoz photo)

Track athlete senior Richard Gary made a step forward in his career today when he signed on to Baylor University.

“I’m pretty excited blessed to be in this situation,” Gary said. “I just want to go down there and who them what I can do”

Gary signed a scholarship that has the option to be renewed each year. Gary gives credit to this important step to those who have supported him through out his life so far.

“I’ve gotten a lot of support and I’m really blessed to have that,” Gary said. “I think that’s really helped me out through out my high school years.”

Track coach Derek Dorris said he is proud of how far Richard has come since his sophomore year.

“It’s a big accomplishment for him,” Dorris said. “going from being in P.E. two years ago and now signing on to Baylor

Gary still has one more track season in high school before heading out to Baylor and he said he doesn’t want to leave before tying up a few loose ends.

“I have to win a state championship for this school and make everyone proud,” Gary said.

See full gallery below:

[flagallery gid=201 name=Gallery]