Column: Pantherettes appearance in Final 4 heightens spirit on campus

Even Superintendent Dr. Alfred Ray was on his feet cheering on the girls as they won their first game in the State tournament final 4 Friday. (Abigail Padgett photo)
Not many schools in the state of Texas can have a pep rally scheduled in the middle of the week celebrating their girls basketball team. There is actually only four schools that can this week, and Duncanville is blessed enough to be one of them. Spring sports in general do not usually get pep rallies, but I am glad that the Pantherettes were given a pep rally for their participation in the state basketball tournament. Their hard work, and excellent season deserves to be celebrated.

It seems that there is a heightened sense of school spirit in the halls, and it can certainly be accredited to the girls basketball team. Duncanville has not brought home a state title in any sports since before the senior class’ freshman year, and this year our Pantherettes stand a very good chance of bringing home a title.

Students walk through the halls wearing signs around their neck reading “Bring Home the Gold” or other words of encouragement. It is really awesome to see the entire student body joining together in support of our girls. Spirit buses have already started to make their journey down to Austin, for today’s Pantherettes appearance in the State finals. The atmosphere was heightened as the team won their first game by 24 points. As Many students are planning trips to Austin to cheer loud and proud for our girls, we hope that on Monday we are celebrating a State Championship for the first time since 2003. Go Pantherettes! Make us proud.