Lady Panthers look to build momentum going into playoffs

Tonight the girls will play thier last district game in Cedar Hill. The girls defeated Cedar Hill 7-1 earlier in the season and will qualify for the playoffs with another win tonight. (Ariana Canchola photo)

Tonight the Lady Panthers will face longtime rival, Cedar Hill, in the last game of the district season. While the girls have already secured a playoff spot, going in as the 4th seed, they still look to dominate in tonight’s game.

“If we would have beat Legacy on Friday, we might have moved up to third in the standings, we have a spot secured as fourth, but Cedar Hill is still a must win game,” senior Aleria Luna said, “They’ve always been a rival, they’re going to come out hard, it’s also their senior night, so it’ll be a tough game.”

The team failed to make the post-season last year, but many of the team members agree that team relationship aided in their qualification this year.

“There’s a lot less drama on the team,” senior Christian Mora said, “we’re more open about our concerns instead of holding them all in.”

Last time they made the playoffs, the girls weren’t able to get past the first round, but they’re hopeful they will be able to perform well this time around.

“Coach has always said, we need to make playoffs, she has always said that since day one,” Luna said, “we’ve always had our ups and downs during games but now that we’re in we’re just going to work hard and just take one game at a time.”

Other main focuses of the team are the basic essentials and keeping healthy.

“A few of us have injuries, so we need to make sure we take care of that,” senior Sienna Rebollozo, “and we just need to try to not do any unnecessary things outside of soccer, just taking care of ourselves.”

With a win tonight the girls will clinch a playoff spot and will begin playoffs later this week.