Band heads to finals, set to perform at 10:30

The marching band finishes out thier show in the Alamodome. (Daniel Valdez photo)

After a long wait through other bands, the Panther Band was announced as a finalist at the UIL state marching contest for yet another year.

“I was extremely relieved when they finally announced us a finalist,” sophomore soloist David Daniels said.  “I am extatic that we will be going to the final performance.”

The band will be the final to go in the contest tonight behind nine other bands including such bands as Marcus, Coppell and Berkner.

“I feel very good.  Going last is the best place to be because we will be the last thing everyone hears,”  director Jeff King said.  “I am very excited about our final show.”

The band waited all day to find out if they would make it to the finals.  Those who have never been to a state contest were on the edge of their seats waiting for the last of the ten bands to be announced. The last to be announced in no particular order was Duncanville.

“I almost passed out waiting for the results,” sophomore Lauren Effiom said.  “It was some really intense moments.”

Those who have been to state before  see the final show being different from that two years ago.

“We are a more close knit group this time,”  junior Nick Nickerson said.  “We have a lot more confidence in ourselves and in our band than the last time we went to the finals.”

Follow the live blog for final results of the state contest here