Sports Column: Panthers look for first out right district title since 2002 against Cedar Hill

Receiver Jeff Thomas breaks away from a Legacy defender in last weeks 44-20 win. The Panthers have to defeat Cedar Hill tonight to take sole possession of the district title for the first time since 2002. (Ana Monzon photo)

From time to time  there is a game that strikes the passion of two schools. It’s a game separate from the rest of the season, and brings a special sense of pride with victory. It’s a game that cannot be afforded to lose, It’s the game that will define the season, it’s Cedar Hill vs. Duncanville.

This year’s game has a bit of spice added to it, Duncanville will be playing to be the sole holders of the District 5-5A football title and Cedar Hill will be playing for a share of that title. By far it would appear that the Duncanville Panthers are coming in with more momentum and in better form. The Panthers are still undefeated and are surely looking to finish the district that way, with some silverware as well. The Cedar Hill Longhorns had an upset against Midlothian but have since then made a positive rebound. The Panthers also want to secure the first place seed with the luck of being able to face an “easier” opponent in the playoffs.

The Panthers are excited about the game and are optimistic. Senior running back Chris Simpson, who leads the team in scoring, knows what is at stake Friday night.

“The victory means a district championship,” Simpson said “We’ve been working really hard for this, we knew it would come to this moment.”

If the Panthers can clinch the win, It will be the first District title in a long time. The game is also important for the Panthers to gain momentum going into the playoffs, and a win will surely give them a boost.

“Cedar Hill is always a good team and good competition, but I feel we can beat them,” Senior quarterback Divan Ealy said, “We’ve got playoff potential and we want that district title.”

Everything is set for this rivalry to possibly be the best game of the season. With this being the last game of the regular and with so much to gain both teams will bring everything they’ve got. Expect sparks to fly when Panthers and Longhorns meet on Friday.