Library transforms into Pirate adventure

Students were able to use their smartphones to find things using the QR codes located around the Library during the Library Pirate Treasure Hunt. (Chrystal Rhone photo)

Pirate hats, treasure chests, and a scavenger hunt seem like they shouldn’t be in a library, but the school librarians are changing that.

“I want them to feel welcomed, not afraid to come to the library” librarian Karen McQuaid said.

To help achieve this goal, Ms. Tahaney with the help of another librarian, came up with the idea to have a scavenger-type hunt around the library for the new freshman to participate in with their English teachers. This week freshman English teacher  Ramona Simons is just one of many faculty members on board with the project that will go on for the next two weeks.

“Even though it’s high school, students don’t have to take everything too seriously” Simons said. “They can still have fun.”

As a part of the concept, students get to go around the different sections of the library and scan QR codes to answer questions on a ‘treasure map’. Once they complete the map, the students are able to turn it in to a librarian and collect a prize.

As they leave, the students take with them not only a small gift, but the knowledge of where everything is located in the library.

“I’m not sure that students actually retain any of the information, but it’s a good way for the student to learn where every thing is in the library,” Simons said.

Knowing students could still forget where the non fiction section is when it comes time for research papers, Ms. McQuaid still hopes students will not be afraid to ask for help.

“Absolutely ask me anything while you are walking around the library” Ms. McQuaid said about students approaching her during this weeks activities.