Senior Amira Johnson takes passion for fashion to higher level

Fabric, scissors, and an open mind was all Amira Johnson needed to be captivated at a very young age. As an 8 year old, keeping her bear stylish was important to her. She remembers making clothes for her bear hoping to make a stylish bear. She even admits cutting up her own clothes that she did not want and making clothes for her bear with them.

Senior Amira Johnson makes everything about fashion. During the Homecoming Retro Spirit day she came to school wearing the fashion of the day for the years past. (Sheila Gonzalez photo)
“I would cut pieces from clothes I didn’t want to wear anymore to create cool designs,” Johnson said “I kind of got in trouble for doing this but I did it anyway.”

Little did Johnson know where her favorite past time and subtle mischief would lead her to in the future. Now a senior, Amira is creating her own clothing lines and recently landed in the top three for the Terry Costa Catwalk design competition.

“I wanted to make a classy prom dress with sleeves because you do not really see that anmore,” Johnson said. “So I moved away from the usual strapless dress and created a long sleeve one detailed with pearls on a neutral fabric.”

Amira was happy to be named a finalist in this year’s contest and enjoyed the feedback she received.

“I was excited when I saw that my design was one being voted on,” Johnson said. “I thought that I could actually win the competition.”

Johnson said although she was not the person selected for the top prize in the contest she is still happy with her work.

“This is just a bump in the road,” Johnson said. “You win you lose some. And you keep going.”

Although Johnson said she has had the opportunity to work with many people in the past she can not find just one person to credit for her success.

“There’s no one person in particular that motivates me in fashion,” Johnson said. “But I plan to be a legendary fashion designer and my ultimate motivation is my Heavenly Father.”

View Comments (1)