Freshman English students to read handmade story books to children

Students from Mrs. Ellis freshman English class will be presenting their children’s books they made in class to children in the library tomorrow night. (Chrystal Rhone photo)
Students from Mrs. Ellis freshman English class will be presenting their children's books they made in class to children in the library tomorrow night. (Chrystal Rhone photo)

On Wednesday, December 12 after school, Freshmen English teacher, Monica Ellis, carefully gazed at her students reading to a group of Elementary students. She smiles as she watched the children’s expressions unfold into happiness.

“I have done this project before and my previous students really liked it,” Ellis said. “Some of the kids actually became elementary school teachers because they have an interaction with them.”

Ellis said that the students have been working on this children Myth project for four weeks.

“Students had to pick a natural phenomenon, a monster, a hero, and a god or godess to help the hero through the story,” Ellis said. “The students will find this activity easy, if they just follow the rubric.”

And the event was. Ellis said that the afternoon was very entertaining and most of her students did fairly well.

“This was a very successful event,” Ellis said. “The children’s expressions, were priceless.”

A small Janay Crittendon said that she really enjoyed the high school readers, especially ones with enthusiasm in their narrative voice.

“I liked the story about how lightening was made,” Crittendon said. “Because the person that was reading it was very funny when he stood up and read.”

Ellis said that she noticed a lot of creative ways each student would come up with to entertain the children.

“It is fun seeing the kids getting creative,” Ellis said. “I found most of the to be very funny.”

A Freshmen reader, Cameron Sweet said that he did most of his creative narrative to keep from looking at the kids.

“I didn’t want to make eye with them, even though I can feel their eyes on me,” Sweet said. “But I think they enjoyed it, because they clamped.”

Sweet said that his story was about the avengers, and that is how he was able to easily write the story.

“I really like the Avengers,” Sweet said. “And that was how I was able to write the story.

Ellis said that her kids did a really good job, and that she can not wait till next year.

“Very creative stories,” Ellis said. “And I would not expect less from my students.”