Student’s design selected as BPA National Winner in pin contest

Every year, hundreds of students from all over the state send in a pin design for the BPA competition in hopes that they will be be chosen as a national pin winner. Since only one can be chosen for each state, the chances of winning are very slim. However, for this year’s competition, senior Jillian Masaini’s design was chosen to be the pin distributed at the National contest later this year.

Jillian Masaini's design was selected as the national Pin design for BPA. The artwork above was created by her and will be represented on the pin that is distributed at the national convention later this year. (original artwork)
“She’s always been creative,” business teacher Annette Burnap said. “I mean she can make something out of nothing it’s been pretty amazing to watch her grow.”

Burnap has been  Masaini’s teacher for the past three years, and told her about the contest this year. After hearing about the it, Masaini decided it was something that she wanted to do.

“I thought making a pin for the national organization would be really good” Masaini said. “I just needed some advice to see how I could improve.”

In order to receive the guidance Masaini needed she said she looked to her teacher who has been with her every step of the way leading up to submitting the final design.

“I just advised her a little and we really studied the graphics together,” Burnap said. “I had to make sure we weren’t breaking any copyrights and then gave my frank opinion. The concept was entirely hers.”