OLAS club offers Hispanic students various activities

The OLAS Club hosted a party in October for the Day of The Dead. They plan to host other such events featuring activities to engage the hispanic culture at the high school. (jasmine Roblero photo)

Hispanic students chomping on cookies, drinking hot cocoa and listening to their president Esmeralda Aguilar and sponsor Moses Pena speak about upcoming activities are now familiar sights and sounds deep in the west side of campus with the start up of the Organization of Latin American Students (OLAS).

“I wanted to construct this group to teach the Hispanic students here at Duncanville High School more about their culture so they can be proud of it ,” Pena said.

This is a new club for the Hispanic students of the school who want to have fun while learning about their culture. Pena decided to organize OLAS this year with the help of Aguilar. They have already planned out activities for the club to enjoy their Latin culture.

“We held the El Dia De Los Muertos Party, which is the day of the dead, and that had a great turn out, “Aguilar said. “For next semester we are planning a multi-cultural night, with different dances and foods from each place. ”

Aguilar says that she would like to give more of activity choices to the members of OLAS and be more involved with the DHS community.

“We wanted to make Duncanville more open for activities and since a great percent of the students are Hispanic, we thought it would be a great way to allow them to enjoy their culture,” Pena said.

The club offers a place for Hispanic students to meet other Hispanic students, learn and be proud of their culture and makes it fun at the same time.

“I felt like it would be too much if all of the Hispanic origin students were to join the Spanish Club because they already have a lot of members so why not have an organization for all Hispanic students,” Aguilar said.

OLAS collaborates with Spanish Club but plans to extend their horizons. Pena said The club wants to collaborate with other organizations in the future.

“Being involved is what we are about,” Pena said. “We want to invoke our members in any activity that Duncanville has.”

OLAS attended the nursing home and took the residents Christmas presents and participated in the toy drive as well as holding a Christmas Party so far.

“We want to be like a Hispanic Student Council,” Pena said.

The club is hoping to get more students to join and participate in their activities. All  students have to do to join is come to their next meeting and sign up.

“We are also preparing to make shirts for OLAS and whoever has the shirt is officially in OLAS,” Aguilar said.

Students are encouraged by Pena and Aguilar to listen closely to the announcements to hear when the next meeting is so they have the opportunity to attend the next meeting.

PHOTOS OF DAY OF DEAD PARTY