Pantherettes tested in overtime, remain perfect after 69-61 win

Senior+Antoina+Robinson+fights+for+control+of+the+ball+against+a+Mansfield+Timberview+defender+in+Friday+nights+overtime+win+69-61.+
    Senior Antoina Robinson fights for control of the ball against a Mansfield Timberview defender in Friday nights overtime win 69-61.

The Pantherettes took on Mansfield Timberview last Friday in another physical district matchup. The Pantherettes were looking to stay undefeated in their last 57 games dating back to last year. The Pantherettes are (29-0) on the season and are (8-0) in district. Timberview was (25-3) overall and (7-1) in district play. Their only loss came to the Pantherettes earlier in the season.

Senior Antoina Robinson fights for control of the ball against a Mansfield Timberview defender in Friday nights overtime win 69-61.(Cody Rogers photo)
    The Pantherettes were tested on Friday. Timberview came in determined to avenge their 22 point loss to the Pantherettes earlier in the season. Timberview took the Pantherettes into overtime for the first time this year with a game tying three by junior forward Terriell Bradley for Timberview. The final score of the game was 69-61.

Both teams played a close first quarter and the Pantherettes led by four after the first. Going into the second quarter the Pantherettes were still tested and at halftime they led 32-25. Timberview’s three point shooting kept them in the game after the first two quarters.

Throughout the third quarter both teams were trading baskets and they both scored 17 points in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter Timberview took over and outscored the Pantherettes by seven with a game tying three that shifted momentum for Timberview, but senior guard Lili Thompson fouled out and she was also their top scorer for the night.

In overtime the Pantherettes played flawless basketball. They played great defense and only gave up two points, and they scored 10. Considering the Pantherettes haven’t had to go anywhere close to overtime, the ladies held their composure and play championship basketball like they’ve been in that situation before.

Junior guard Ariel Atkins scored 23 points as the leading scorer for both teams. Senior forward Kiara Perry scored 17 points for the Pantherettes. Tasia Foman and Tamara Washington played excellent defense with multiple steal between the two of them.

The Pantherettes take on Midlothian Tuesday at home and the game starts at 6:00. The team will be looking to extend their win streak to 58.