The Iron King

The Iron King
The Iron King
The Iron King

With the expectation of this book to be a bit like the “Lord of the Rings” series, being that the “Fey” is a term for faeries I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not at all like the other novels by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I wasn’t expecting the book to be a complete contradiction to what the faery world is. The “Iron King” is actually a faery but is the ruler of the Iron Fey, and incase you didn’t know the Fey don’t exactly like iron. In fact it is toxic to them, their kryptonite.

Everything that Meghan Chase knows about her world is a lie, her best friend, and her father, even her school nurse.  She learns of the world of faery when a mysterious force drives her to go through her closet (portal) and drop her into the kingdom of her father, the King of the Summer Fey.

The story is enthralling and honestly, I didn’t want it to stop at the ending, but luckily for me the next two books were already so I was able to continue the adventure in the Iron Daughter, Iron Queen, and eventually Iron Knight.

I was impressed with the way Julie Kagawa wrote the story in a setting where the Fey are still dressed in elegance and use proper grammar and manners while still giving it a modern feel by bringing Meghan’s character into the kingdom.

There isn’t a bad thing I can say about this story and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to read fantasy novels. Five stars.