Pantherettes continue to roll in playoffs, set to take on Bowie in Regional Semis

The Pantherettes are looking to extend their winning streak against Bowie Friday to advance to the State tournament. (Tricia Virtue Photo)

The Pantherettes will face Bowie in the regional semifinals Friday 8:00 at Wilkerson-Grines Activity Center in Fort Worth, Texas.

Bowie is coming off of a win against El Paso Bel Air on Tuesday. The final score of the game was (59-53). Senior forward Ashley Ferguson scored 26 points in the contest. Ferguson is also their leading scorer, and she averages 15.2 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

Bowie is another aggressive team that likes to take the ball down low and score inside of the paint. They also shoot pretty well from beyond the three-point line. The Pantherettes’ defense will be key just like always. If they take care of business on the defensive end then the baskets will come on the other end.

The Panterettes will be looking to pick up two wins this weekend for another trip to the State tournament next week. The Pantherettes took on district rival Cedar Hill Tuesday in the regional quarterfinals. The Pantherettes came into the game with an overall record of (37-0) and a district record of (14-0). The Pantherettes put their undefeated streak on the line again. The Pantherettes faced Cedar Hill two times earlier in the year and blew the Longhorns out to say the least in both games.

Cedar Hill came into the playoff game with an overall record of (26-9). The Longhorns were hoping that the third time was the charm and they could knock the Pantherettes out of the playoffs and end the winning streak at 65 games in a row.

The Pantherettes came out looking like the championship team and never looked back after the first quarter. The Pantherettes took a 33-17 lead into the locker room at the half, even after playing a little sloppy, second quarter of basketball. The Pantherettes came out even harder in the second half and only allowed the Longhorns 12 points in the second half. The Pantherettes blew the Longhorns out 65-29 when the final buzzer went off.

Junior guard Ariel Atkins scored a team high with 20 points and had junior guard Tasia Foman right behind her with 14 points. Overall the Pantherettes dominated Cedar Hill and they eliminated them out of playoffs.

The Longhorns Jada Terry was limited to only one point in the game while the Longhorns again depended on the Freshman to put points up against the Pantherettes. This was not enough to stop the Pantherettes at all.