Boys soccer faces district leader Midlothian tonight, looks to move into tie for first place

The boys soccer team will be looking to move into first place in district play tonight as they take on undefeated Midlothian at OPF. (Simone Parker Photo)

The varsity boys soccer team will face the number one team in district tonight to start the second half of district play right behind them in the district standings. The team is looking to move into first place after tying Midlothian 0-0 at the beginning of district play. head coach Nuno pssos said the he thinks the district championship comes down to this game tonight.

“My expectation is winning a district Championship. Its been since 2006 since we won a district championship, and the kids have worked really hard for four years to try and win it.” Passos said “We’re going to play as hard as we can to try and reach that goal.”

They won their own Duncanville Classic Soccer Tournament earlier in the year by beating Midlothian 1-0 with penalty kicks. Passos said the Panthers are looking good this season and have made the goals when they needed them the most. The team has a few new players in the freshman who are stepping in when needed. During the summer, Passos said the coaches helped the team become better by working together, and becoming stronger as a whole.

“We worked really hard in the weight room and worked hard on conditioning and mental toughness in off season. The coaches did a good job in helping them be bigger, faster, stronger, better.” Passos said “Our kids grew up a lot from last year and they’re physically and mentally tougher, and our coaches have a really good job at reminding them that the season isn’t over. Were half way where we want to be, but we’ve done a really good job at maintaining and staying on them keeping them focused.”

The boys are currently ranked #3 in the area by the Dallas Morning News and have remained at at the top since the start of the season. Passos said this does not seem to be affecting their playing. He said the team hasn’t had any pressure about staying on top, and that they are consistent and are still on top of their game.

“Its a positive thing. The kids have a lot of confidence knowing that they are getting some positive results and are playing well.” Passos said “We let them gain the confidence they need to get them through district.”

Passos said the team has faced adversity through the season but these boys are staying strong and bouncing back from their obstacles.

“We’ve suffered some injuries to key players in key positions and we’ve had some kids step up and do a good job, but when we were really playing well everybody was healthy.” Passos said “Right now we are battling some injuries and some poor decisions that some kids have made off the field. Those two things have been the biggest obstacles that we’re facing.”

Tonight will mark the third time the Panthers have faced Midlothian this year and Passos said this should be a great game for fans to see.

“This will be a tough game, but may be the season changer for the team,” Passos said. “This game could help us step into first place and win a district championship.”