Pantherettes advance to State Championship after 64-40 win

Junior Ariel Atkins collides with a Clear Springs defender as she looks for the steal in the third period of play in their 64-40 win. (Olivia Davila photo)

“That’s what they’ve done all year, they play team offense and team defense.” head coach Cathy Self-Morgan said in the post game interview after the Pantherettes dominating win over Clear Springs in the 5A state semi finals 64-40. The Pantherettes(40-0) advance to the State Finals against Cibolo Steel(32-5) Saturday night at 8:30 in the Frank Erwin Center in Austin.

“The kids played hard to get the big run in the third to take the big lead,” Self Morgan said.  “They covered for each other when they had to in order to get the win.”

The Pantherettes were lead by junior guard, Ariel Atkins, who had 29 points and 5 rebounds. Atkins shot over 68 percent from the field in the semi final matchup most of which came in the second half of play.

“My team just kept telling me to keep my head up and keep shooting,” Atkins said of her cold start in the first half.

The Pantheretes took an early 12 point lead in the first and second quarter, but Clear Springs came roaring back and got the lead down to one with 3:00 left in the second quarter. Just like all year, the Pantherettes remained calm and increased their lead to four by halftime.

“This team got the momentum going their way late in the second period of play and we had to stop their shots and slow their momentum,” Self-Morgan said.

After halftime the Pantherettes went on an 18-2 run and shut down Clear Springs for the rest of the game. Senior forward Kiara Perry had 11 points and Antonia Robinson also had 10 huge points. Senior guard Tamara Washington had 9 points, but her presence was felt more on the defensive end with 4 steals and a block.

“We are very happy with what TMo has given us this year,” Self-Morgan said. “She not only plays hard but brings fun to the game and has a great attitude.”

Playing defense will be the key to the Pantherettes netting another state championship The Pantherettes will be playing for their 6th state championship and a spot in Duncanville and UIL history.