2003 Pantherettes recognized at half of 1A Championship

Coach Cathy Self-Morgan and her team receives recognition. (Ariana Canchola photo)
Photo by Ariana Canchola

The Pantherettes are the third winningest team in Texas high school girls’ basketball history. The Pantherettes have won 25 games in the state tournament including last night’s win over Clear Springs.

At halftime of the 1A state championship Dr. Charles Breithaupt, executive director of the University Interscholastic League introduced the 2003 5A state champions from Duncanville. The Pantherettes had a record of (39-1) .

“They stayed up all night talking to Dallas Lincoln that is why I claim they lost the one game.” Head coach Cathy Self-Morgan said prior to the game.

The team consisted of  Chastity Mcgary, Jennifer Berry, Jamie Withline, Tammy Rios, Tiffany Jackson, Lajenna Howard, April Zacharie, Ceren Unal, and Destanie Sykes. The Pantheretes were lead by the current head coach of the Pantherettes, Cathy Self-Morgan. The Pantherettes played Georgetown and won with a final score of (47-27). The current Pantherettes are looking to follow in the 2003 team’s footsteps and capture a state championship as well against Cibolo Steele tonight. Congrats to the 5A 2003 State Champions, the Duncanville Pantherettes.

Tonight Assistant Coach Elsa Walker will be coaching with Self Morgan for the chance at a third state title as her assistant. She said she still remembers her first season with her.

“Coach Self-Morgan is a proven winner, and working with her during the last decade has been an honor and privilege,” Walker said. “She brings so much to the table with her work ethic, her champion’s mentality, and above all else, her heart for the young ladies on our team.”

LeJeanna Howard who will be one of the honorees and returned to Duncanville as a coach and athletic coordinator at Reed Middle School  still remembers the win like it was yesterday.

“It felt like the championship had returned home. My teammates and I believed in the tradition of hard work taught by Coach Self-Morgan,” Howard said.  “Bringing the trophy home was affirmation of our dedication.” The team was in the crowd cheering as the 2013 Pantherettes took on Cibalo Steele for the State Championship. Howard  is looking forward to raising up more Panterettes as the middle school coach.

“I know what a Pantherette is; I lived it and loved it, and now I can teach it!” Howard said.

The team made history with their twenty-second state tournament appearance since 1950 at the 2013 UIL State 5A girls basketball tournament this weekend, and a championship win would be the eighth state title since the team’s formation.