Personal Column: I Don’t Wanna Grow Up

Romeeka Siddiqui, staff writer

Romeeka Siddiqui, staff writer
I miss being a little kid. I miss not caring about how I look. I miss naptime. I miss writing the alphabet for homework. If I could go back to any time, I’d wish to go back to elementary school because that’s when I was stress free. It was when I didn’t have to pull all- nighters because teachers decided to be cruel and give their tests on the same days. Those were simpler times and as I’m getting older, I wish time would just slow down.

I have the rest of this semester and then next year—that’s it. Then even the chapter for high school will be closed forever. The more I think about it, the scarier it becomes. All I remember from when I was small is wanting so badly to grow up. Now that I’m finally a teenager, all I want is for time to stand still. I want it to stand still just until I can soak it all in.
Being 16 and 17 years old is supposedly supposed to be the best years of your life. It’s supposed to be the time you miss when you become an adult. Then why is junior and senior year of high school so stressful? Maybe if I weren’t taking the classes I’m taking, I would have more time to enjoy myself. Maybe if I was smart enough, I’d steer clear of boys to avoid getting my heart broken. And maybe if I’d just stop caring about how I look, I wouldn’t have to spend so much time judging myself.

High school is a time of major decision-making. Deciding what classes to take and then ultimately choosing which college we want to go to are probably the hardest decisions we have to make. Teenagers also get influenced to drink and do drugs. Those are important choices that can affect one’s future. When I was a kid, I was aware of the idea of college, alcohol, and drugs, but it’s not until now that these things are actually things I have to worry about.

Being a teenager seemed like a light year away from me at the time. Where the time goes though, I have no idea. In a blink of an eye, I became sixteen and things changed drastically. I have more responsibilities now. Like the old saying goes: “with freedom comes responsibility.” Getting my license and car also meant having to pick my little brother and sister from school. But things will only get worse from here. Once we are adults, we’ll have to worry about greater things like paying the bills and taking care of our children; things will only get more complicated.

The moral of the story is to enjoy life now and love while we’re young. Don’t take things so seriously. Make good grades but don’t let it take over your life. Fall in love but don’t do something you’ll regret later on in life. Party without going wild. There’s nothing wrong with having fun but being responsible at the same time. Maybe I should listen to my own advice and embrace the rest of high school to it’s fullest. Next year, I’m going to try to have the best year of my life.