Band sends record number of musicians to State Contest

Band students placing in contest. (District photo)

Band students competed in the Region XX UIL Solo and Ensemble Contests held on Saturday, Feb. 23 at Coppell High School and Saturday, March 2 at DeSoto High School. There they prepared and performed pieces that were critiqued and scored by a panel of judges. Ratings ranged from one to five, with a one being the top ranking of Superior.

According to Duncanville ISD Director of Bands Jeff King, more DHS students participated and earned medals in this year’s UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest than in the past eight years. Duncanville High School students earned 101 First Division (Superior) ratings on Class One solos and First Division (Superior) ratings on Class Two solos. Seventeen groups of student musicians also received First Division (Superior) ratings on Class One ensembles. The different classes of solos and ensembles are used to distinguish the difficulty of the musical pieces, with Class Two signifying a difficult piece, and Class One an extremely challenging selection.

The number of student performers advancing to the Texas State Solo and Ensemble Contest (TSSEC) this year is 68 – nearly double what it was just three years ago. This includes 60 individual solo performers and four ensemble groups. King explains what it takes for students to be considered for the TSSEC.

“Students need to memorize a Class 1 Solo and receive a Superior rating,” King said. “They could also receive a Superior rating on a solo that is on a ‘super’ solo list, some of the most difficult pieces.”

The Texas State Solo and Ensemble Contest will be held May 25-27 at the University of Texas at Austin, except for percussion events which will be hosted at Connally High School in Pflugerville. Congratulations to our DHS band students and directors David Brandon, George Townsend, Mark Teal, Will Pitts, and Jeff King!
Click here to view the full list of students advancing to state competition.