Girls soccer advances to second round playoff game against Hebron

Senior Hannah Hinton fights for the ball against Belton in the first round of the playoffs. The team will now face Hebron. (Lisette Lopez photo)

After defeating Belton in the first round of the playoffs, the girls soccer team will face Hebron in the second round of playoff action Friday night at 6 pm at Hebron High School.

“On paper we should not have won the game. Belton (18-4-2) 1st in district, didn’t just give up a goal in district play, but also beaten two of our district opponents badly in preseason,” Coach Lesley Hash said “You can’t count out our hard work and determination of my Duncanville girls (13-6-6) 4th in district.”

The girls were tied 2-2 with Belton and went into overtime leading to Penalty Kicks to break the tie. It was then that the team was successfull in making more kicks than Belton advancing them to the second round.

“We held Belton that had the wind on their side until the last 8 seconds of the first half. We talked strategy at half time and were able to score on a transition play to tie the game,” Hash said “This happened again when they scored second half, but we followed with our own goal.”

Belton was undefeated and scoreless in their district season. They were first in their district and the fan favorites to win the game. Duncanville scored on their keeper twice by junior Jennifer Moloughney, and then again by Jarin Fudge, Hannah Hinton, Evelyn Morris, Aliyah Mora, and Destiny Polk in the Pk shootouts.

“You could feel the confidence and pride from the team. We had done the impossible by making it to penalty kicks-we knew we won the game and it showed on the field,” Hash said “We only missed one shot out of five and they missed two which left the last kicker not even needing to kick.”

See playoff game photos by Lisette Lopez below