Runners compete in Area meet, look to move to regionals

Photo by tions
    Runners who finished int he top 4 from the district meet moved on to the Area Meet for a chance to qualify for Regionals. (Karla Estrada photo)

Last Thursday and Friday, the Duncanville girls and boys track team competed in their annual district meet that they host every year. Of that track meet, twenty of the athletes, twelve boys and eight girls, qualified for area which is held is going to be tomorrow held in Waco, Texas. Track coach Derek Dorris has been training them for the best of their ability for tomorrows meet.

“There is a good chance that all of them should or have a chance to advancing into regionals.” Dorris said

Dorris says area competition will be tough, and the athletes need to have faster times then what they had in district to make it. During the meet, some of the athlestes had some of their best times.

“Most of the times were season best times,” Dorris said “Others, a few, had some of their best personal times.”

Area is were the competition is, nevertheless, Dorris has been training them to prepare for the upcoming event. Dorris says he’s touching up some technical things like starting the handoffs for the relay runners. The team is mostly young with a few old timers that have experienced Area in the past. The team is prepared for whatever curveball gets thrown at them.

“There will be some obstacles if we continue our success, but we are healthy with no obstacles at the moment.” Dorris said

Siara Obasuyi is very confident about going to area and her team making it to regionals.

“I run the 4×200, I know that my team and I will go far. We need to drop our times and we’ll make it,” Obasuyi said “There will competition there, even in our district like, Desoto, Cedar Hill, and even schools in Plano.”

For some kds, this is their first time competing in area, and will take this experience with them for college.

“This is my first time being on a track team. Right now, this is not a big deal but once we get there tomorrow, it’ll hit me,” Junior Andrew Mathis said “I’m running the 100, 4×100, and the 4×200. But, i’m just a junior gaining experience as we go.”

“Practice. We all hate practice, but practice makes perfect and it got us to where we are today.” Obasuyi and Mathis said