Duncanville begins season with 70-42 win over Colleyville Heritage

Senior Running Back Derrell Haynes breaks away from a Colleyville defender in route to one of his two touchdowns in the 70-42 win Friday night. (Leenolia Robinson photo)

The Panthers will be looking to extend their pre-district record to 2-0 when they take on Abilene Friday night  for their first home game.  After a convincing 70-42 victory over Colleyville Heritage last week, the team is happy to start with a 1-0 record for the first time in a while.

“For the first time in a while it feels good to say we are 1-0,” Panther Head Coach Jeff Dicus said.

Duncanville started the night with a touchdown in the first quarter taking a two point conversion after the touchdown for a quick  8-0 lead. Colleyville then answered with a score leaving Duncanville with an 8-7 lead. Both teams went back and forth marching down the field behind each other leaving the score tied at the half 28-28.

The start of the second half was no different as Duncanville  scored first, stretching their lead to  35-28. The battle continued between both teams with flags being thrown and both reaching the end zone several times after the half. However, the fourth quarter belonged to Duncanville as they outscored Heritage 28-7 giving Duncanville the blowout in the fourth to finish 70-42.

With just over 6 minutes left in the fourth, Duncanville sent sophomore back-up quarterback Michael Myers into the game to pick up the final touchdown with just a few plays.  Myers completed two passes for 31 yards and a touchdown.  Senior quarterback Jeremiah Drake came out of the game after a standout night of 34 completions for 439 yards and five touchdowns. Junior running back Roosevelt Richmond rushed for 98 yards and one touchdown on the night while Sr. Derrell Haynes finished the night with 63 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns. Juniors Xavier Brown and Kevin Bell combined for 215 yards in the air and 4 touchdowns while senior Devante Smith caught 11 passes for 126 yards and one touchdown.