Varsity volleyball team prepares for the upcoming district play

The volleyball team has won more games during their pre-district schedule this year than for the whole year last year. They are looking to turn things around this year. (Cody Rogers Phtoto)
    Coach and a teammates leaving, adapting to changes in the volleyball program, winning only 2 out of 14 games during the last season filled the varsity volleyvall team’s plate with more than enough to deal with last season. This year’s team went rode the roller coaster ride physically, mentally and emotionally during the last season. But with pre-district play coming to a close tonight and district play set to start against Mansfield Timberview Friday night, they will be focusing on their goal for this season.

“I want to make it to the playoffs. Unlike last year, I want us to go out with a winning attitude,” senior Kirby Anderson said. “So we can prove people wrong and make a statement about this team.”

The girls have been playing together for almost four years, and they want to finish strong together as a team.

“We have chemistry and willpower. All we have to do is work together and be accountable for our roles in the team,” senior Imani Ramirez said. “That’s how we can get work done this year.”

As for the younger players on the team, they are ready to work hard and contribute to the team as well.

“I want my team to inherit the title ‘District Champions’. We have so much potential, but sometimes we play at the level of our opponents.” junior Kelsey Williams said.

Others set goals to defeat their rival schools and show them who are the real queens of the court.

“I want to beat DeSoto and Cedar Hill. I expect us to work as one and come out on top every time,” junior Taylor Griffin said.

The seniors have been working hard this year to prove what their team is made of and make history for the school.

“My expectations are for everyone to do their job, be a family, and support one another,” senior Victoria Hicks said. “My advice for the team would be to just keep working hard and fight for what you believe in.”

With pre-district play coming to a close the team admits that this year is just one of those years that coaches and athletes do not always look forward to.

“It’s rebuilding year,” Anderson said.