Column: Do not allow technology to make you miss things in life

Technology at its best
Franklin Mejia

Technology. Isn’t it amazing? So many things we can do with it, so much potential. The things that we can do with it seem as if they were taken straight out of a science-fiction movie. With the high attention on the advancement of technology rising even further, things such as teleportation and moving faster than light are finally within our reach! But is this all a good thing?

Don’t get me wrong, I love our available technology, being able to do almost everything… all at the touch of my fingertips. Things like that seem nice, which they are, but like everything else; they’re only good when used in moderation. Many people are getting obsessed with our technology. So much that many medical institutions are now treating things like Internet Addiction as a mental illness.

At the rate we’re going, movie concepts depicting our future being a bad one (Wall-E for example) are soon going to be a reality. While we’re focusing entirely on technology, things around the world are going unnoticed. We’re missing out on important events like whether or not we’ll bomb Syria, or whether or not we’ll BE bombed by countries like North Korea, and what for? Just to play Candy Crush? Is it really worth it?

Technology has such great potential. So do we. But if don’t realize the importance of other things, we’ll never be able to see a happy future. Sure, as technology advances, things like medical care become more efficient. But at the same time, we as a nation become less efficient.

Ever since the introduction of the new era of technology (smart phones, laptops, and computers, etc.) our society has been dumbing down. People go into a panic mode if there is an hour-long power outage, or if their phone battery dies, but maybe a long power outage is just what we need to remember how to do things for ourselves. We have lost our independence and intelligence.

So instead of spending your day playing Candy Crush, or Temple Run. Why not go outside? Or do some school work. It may seem boring and unnecessary right now, but in the long run, you’ll be the one benefiting.