Pantherettes remain undefeated with 90 straight wins

The Pantherettes defeated nationally ranked Whitney Young to win the Sandra Meadows Classic and remain undefeated on the season. (Olivia Davila photo)

After a holiday season showered with some tough tournament play including wins against five of the top 10 teams in the state and a Sandra Meadow Classic win against Max Preps number 11 team Whitney Young, the Pantherettes are still rolling with 90 straight wins and a season record of 20-0 going into tomorrow’s matchup with Mansfield.

“We’re blessed to have such great coaches who are constantly reminding us what we are working towards,” senior Guard Ariel Atkins said. “They don’t let us take a day off, so a lot of hard work and prayer has gone into preparation for this season.”

This year’s team is not like one we are normally used to. It is consisted of only seniors and sophomores.  These four sophomores show off the young talent giving the Pantherettes some advantage in games as well.

“To me, our sophomores are huge in our play because they’re not only talented but they help me and our other seniors become a better big sister, and a better leader to them,” Atkins said.

The seniors work to show the sophomores all the little things that go together when they play as a team. There has been a lot of encouragement for them as they play on the courts and practice. Getting them in the normal groove didn’t seem to be challenge for the team because they are playing with the same strength we are used to seeing.

“We are just working hard every day and staying humble,” Coach Self-Morgan said. “And keeping our health will be key for that.”

With three straight wins for this district I’d say that our Lady Pantherettes are going in the right direction for maintaining their undefeated streak. However they aren’t celebrating just yet.

“We’re feeling good, but not too good,” Atkins said “But we have to keep our eyes on the prize and take it one game at a time.”