Column: Pantherettes show no sign of slowing down with 96-0 record

Senior guard Tasia Foman presses the lane for the shot against Timberview. The Pantherettes had their first test of the season against Timberview but came out on top to remain undefeated. (Olivia Davila photo)

The last time the Pantherettes played Grand Prairie the game ended with the Gophers only scoring 18 points and a Pantherettes offensive explosion that resulted in 77 points. This is not unusual or uncommon and is just what fans expect to see again tonight when the two meet for the last part of the district season.

The Panterettes are nothing less than explosive, quick and dynamic on the court. These are just a few adjectives that describe the team that is currently sitting at a 96-0 record over the past few seasons and shows no sign of slowing down. The group of ladies Coach Cathy Self-Morgan has trained seems to be unstoppable.  They play a hard defense and a basket-slashing offense that brings this team a lot of victories.

In the past few district games, the Pantherettes have been offensively led by Tasia Foman who currently sits among the top scorers in the area averaging 14.2 points per game and has 368 points on the year. She is nothing less than  a quick and fearless guard in the paint. She cuts to the rim and can find a open teammate anywhere on the court.

The Pantherettes are pretty offensively balanced as a whole team. Forward Ariel Atkins is a strong cutter who can also get to the basket well. If she sees an open lane, she’ll get through it. Atkins is also good at finishing at the rim even through tough contact. She finds her place among the top ten scorers in the area as well averaging 17.5 points a game with 456 on the season.

This team is good on the fast break as well. Their tough defense causes teams to pick up the turn overs almost profusely, so the fast break has to be a strong side for the Pantherettes. One place the team can improve offensively is free throw shooting. A couple missed free throws can make a game closer than it should be and they struggle at the line at times.

One thing that is a huge factor for the Pantherettes are Garbage time points. Garbage time for most teams is usually in the middle of the second quarter when teams are figuring each other out. These ladies put up huge offensive numbers during the second period of play. All this does is increase their lead going into the half which can be very crucial in late moments of the game. Having one of the best defensive teams in the district, once they get up on garbage time points, its hard for opposing teams to play catch up.

With just three games remaining in regular season play this team shows no sign of slowing down as they have slashed most of the top ten teams in the state by double digits.  They most likely will remain undefeated through yet another season as they defend their 5A State Championship for the third straight year.