Varsity soccer girls take the second place trophy home in their tournament

Varsity girls in the championship game of the Duncanville Classic Tournament (Karla Estrada photo).

This past weekend the Duncanville Varsity girls soccer team competed in their annual Duncanville Classic Tournament. The girls went to the championship game and had a devastating loss against North McKinney.

The girls played their first game on Thursday against Thomas Jefferson High School and won the game 3-1. Goals were scored by Sophomore Aliyah Mora, Freshman Elisa Lazo, and Senior Evelyn Morris. Because of the weather on Thursday the other team forfeited the game by the second half, and the Panthers took the win. The next day the Panthers played against Mansfield Legacy and also won the game, leaving it 1-0. Goal was scored by Senior Gabie Walston in the second half. Winning this game put the Panthers on their way to the championship game against North McKinney.

The Panthers faced a tough challenge against North McKinney, and they lost 3-0. The girls won their tournament as runner ups and took the second place trophy. The JV girls also played in this tournament for the first year. They were in the consolation championship and played against the Varsity Sunset soccer team. They also faced a loss, and lost 3-0.

District season opens up this week, all three soccer teams will play their first district game against Midlothian. The JV2 play at Old Panther Field at 4:00 P.M. , while the JV play their first game away in Midlothian at 6:00 P.M. The Varsity girls will play their first district game at Old Panther Field at 6:00 P.M, with the Varsity Soccer Boys following the girls game and playing at 8:00 P.M.