Swim Team qualifies 19 for Regional Meet in Keller

Junior Carlus Brown nears the finish line in his race at the District 7-5A swim meet. The boys finished in 4rth place and sent several swimmers to the Regional meet. (Yonas Nielsen photo)

After finishing second place at the District 7-5A swim meet, 19 swimmers from the boys and girls team are representing the school at the regional meet in Keller today and tomorrow.

“I was extatic about the results at district,” head coach Teresa Chumbley said. “The kids did a fantastic job and most of them posted personal best at the meet.  This is what they all train for all year.”

On the girls side Madison Samples led the team winning the 50 free and the 50 free and the 100m backstroke and in the relays as well.  Ana Andrade is also competing in the relays and the 200 and500 free.  Cheisely Mendez is n the relay and the 100 free.  Ana Yanes, Stephanie Nuno, Grecia Caro.  Swimming for the boys are Randi Ford in relays, 100 Breast, and 200 IM, Carlus Brown in two relays and 100 Breast, Cameron Montalbo in relays and 50 Free, Jakobe Hython in relays and free, Nick Howard, Aziel Meza, Jared Pina, D’Antae Johnson, Kameron Marable, and Sean Kirby.

“This is where it all their hard work shows,” Chumbley said.  “They’re gonna see some really fast kids at this meet.” Chumbley said.

Although swimming is an individualized sport Chumbley said the challenge is to get students to understand every swimmer’s placing matters.

“They don’t realize that even one point can help the team reach a higher placing,” Chumbley said. “Convincing them that the teams’ total at the end score together is tough.”

The coaches do expect all players to do their best, show what they have trained for, and remember to have fun as they enter today’s meet.

“We will see our strongest competition of the year this weekend,” Chumbley said.  “We just hope to see great things from Maddie who should be very strong for us.