Personal Column: Anxiety attacks aren’t to be taken lightly

Staff writer Franklin Mejia
Staff writer Franklin Mejia
Staff writer Franklin Mejia

A friend of mine asked me what it feels like to have an anxiety attack, so here you go, imagine this:

Imagine taking a stroll down a beautiful field full of lush and vibrant plants. The day isn’t too hot and the breeze is just right. You’re walking while humming your favorite song and everything is simply bliss. When suddenly you hear a sudden blood-curdling scream. You jump and are greeted with a grotesque, monstrous creature in front of you, blocking your path. You see the creature running towards you; its horns pointed at you, drool slowly crawling down its face and, its murderous eyes looking at nothing but you.

The air fills up with it’s killing intent, and you can’t do anything about it. You react and become scared, worried, anxious, and would very much like to run away or at the very least attempt to defend yourself; however, when you command your body to move, to react, to do something. It just stays there. Your feelings of dread are still there, your adrenaline is pumping, your begging your body to run or to react in some way, but your body just simply refuses to obey you and does all it can to simply stay still.

Now imagine all that, especially all the feelings, but this time, there is no creature. There is no monster blocking your path. However, all those feelings are still there. Your just doing your regular routine and those feelings are just suddenly sprung inside of you and you are forced to go through the rest of the day with those feelings without breaking down or reacting in a bizarre fashion.

Sounds horrible doesn’t it?

Well that’s how it feels like having anxiety attacks. For some, they may appear only during stressful moments, such as: moments before a test, when giving a speech, or when preparing for a job interview. On the other hand, there are people who get them at random intervals. They could be doing something hard and complex, like schoolwork, or they could be doing something ordinary and simple. Either way, the feelings of an anxiety attack are horrible and not something to taken light of.

View Comments (2)