Student Council promotes positivity on social networking sites

A look at some of the compliments already posted on the twitter page.

You log on to Twitter and see you have been mentioned in a tweet. You click on the notification. The tweet is from @dvillecomp and it says, “You are beautiful inside and out.” Instantly, a bad day is better.

This is the vision Student Council had in mind when they created the compliment account through which students can send their peers anonymous compliments. To submit a positive remark, students can visit the page on twitter or the ask.fm account if they choose to be anonymous.

“We got the idea from another school,” Student Council president Shannon Sturman said. “Our council thought it was a really cool thing to do at our school. The purpose is to make a positive impact on our school.”

Sturman said though the page has been slow to achieve success, she’s happy with it’s influence.

“So far several people have said that they like what we’re doing and that it’s made their day, so I would say we are accomplishing our goal and making a positive influence,” Sturman said.

Sturman said one compliment in particular stood out to her.

“All of the compliments have been genuine to me,” Sturman said. “One of the best ones would have to have been the one saying that someone deserves to be happy. It’s true and very relateable; everyone deserves to be happy. And I think that’s good for people to hear because when people go through rough times they often believe that they don’t deserve to be happy, which isn’t true.”

Sturman said this compliment exemplifies one of the main purposes of the compliment twitter.

“We hope to let people know that they really are loved, even if they don’t feel they are,” Sturman said.